Monday, October 08, 2007

Vietnam War Memorial

2007_10-08 (74)
Today was Columbus day and unlike most people that didn't go to work I did. We were at the Municipal Auditorium pretty much all day. We had a break for lunch and then one in between sessions. We were glad to go on the break because it was frakkin cold inside and it allowed us to warm up a little. While we were out there we crossed the street to the Southwestern Bell/AT&T building. In front of that is a plaza with a Korean War Memorial and a Vietnam War Memorial. I had been in the general area a number of times before, but I had not noticed the memorials. This time I wanted to make sure to get some pics. I took a couple of pics of both the memorials. I liked how much this inanimate figure emotes.

If you're wondering why I chose this memorial over the other for this post, there was only one reason...my tio (although my sister says he's really a cousin, but whatever) served and came back from Vietnam, so this is for him and all those others that serve...then and now and for those that will serve in the future.

6 comments:

  1. An amazing sculpture beautifully captured.

    Quick Snap 365

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that sculpture is breath-taking, and it needs to be seen in real life to be really appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you chose to share this memorial to honor your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After seeing your post, I made a point to drive by yesterday. You can't appreciate just how large this sculpture is unless you see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely shot, Shorty. I'm glad you snapped it. I have always thought it a great monument. The details are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks mike it is truly a wonder to see.

    alba - I agree that it needs to be seen in person, it almost looks like they are real and only frozen in time.

    LL - I have a soft spot for those who serve, partly because many members of my family have served.

    dave - It is pretty big, which makes me wonder how I really didn't see it last time I was there.

    T - Thanks. You know me I just push the button, the camera does all the rest. The devil is in the details with this one, I also like how the rain, or whatever it is running down the face of the one soldier makes it look likes he's weeping.

    ReplyDelete