This is San Fernando Church (now a cathedral) as it looked sometime before 1872. It is the geographical center of San Antonio. Until 1811, San Antonio was known as Villa San Fernando. The original city limits were a square, six miles to a side, with San Fernando in the middle. The cornerstone was laid in 1738 and the church probably looked much like this at the time of the Alamo battle in 1836.